Some of you may remember that last year we participated in a unique fundraiser called Passports With Purpose. This annual event was started by a group of travel bloggers looking for a way to help support communities in need around the world. This cause is near to my heart. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to travel the world and I love the idea of using this little blog to do something real for a community in need. Best of all, we get to do this while giving away great travel-themed prizes to you! Here’s what I mean…
What is Passports With Purpose?
Each year Passports With Purpose partners with a different nonprofit organization, carefully chosen for their experience working in a developing region. Participating bloggers procure a prize to give away and then promote the fundraiser on their blogs and social networks. Readers (i.e., you!) donate $10 on the PwP website and list which prize you want to win. The prizes are then are then raffled off to donors after the contest closes on December 17.
Last year we raised $84,000 enabling the organization BuildOn.org to build two schools in Mali, Africa.
Photo courtesy of Sustainable Harvest International
In 2014, we are raising money to support Sustainable Harvest International’s efforts in Honduras. For every $5,000 we raise, we can help a family learn to farm sustainably for five years, reducing deforestation and providing a source of income.
Here’s How You Can Win!
The participating bloggers have secured almost 50 prizes this year! There are prizes for everyone regardless of where you live and your travel interests. Some of the prizes are very practical and can be used anywhere, and others are I’d-never-be-able-to-afford-this, dream-come-true opportunities.
Photo courtesy of Westin Verasa, Napa. Win this trip!
While we are not sponsoring a prize this year, I’ll be working hard to promote this fundraiser and I’ll be donating myself!
Here are some of my favorite prizes:
- A Sensational Week in Provence, France. Value: $4,950
- Vacation in Bar Harbor, Maine. Value: $1,262
- 4 Day Guided Backpacking Trip at the Grand Canyon. Value: $1,020
- A two-night stay at the Westin Verasa in Napa, California. Value: $800
- Napa Valley Wine Train Gourmet Dinner packages for 2. Value: $240
- A Weekend of Wine and Chocolate in Lodi: A two-night package stay for two in Lodi, California. Value: $1,000
- Two Night Stay at Montage Laguna Beach, California. Value: $990
- Experience Hershey in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Value: $700
- Two Nights in a Discover Sunriver Oregon Vacation Rental. Value: $466
- A $1,000 Homeaway Global Vacation Rental Voucher
- A $500 Wimdu Vacation Rental Voucher (I won this prize last year!)
- A $200 Amazon Gift Card
- Western Digital 2TB External Hard Drive. Value: $139
- Ebags Exo 2.0 Hardside Spinner Carryon Suitcase. Value $150
- Asus Memo Pad 8 Tablet. Value: $150
… and lots more! Check out the full list of prizes here. Bidding will close December 17, 2014.
Let me know in the comments below what prizes you want to win!